Today is November 11th, Remembrance Day.
Each November, we start to see poppies on everyone's jackets. It's a touching and simple way to salute the soldiers who have died in the line of duty, for all those who fought and continue to fight for our rights and freedoms - a tradition beginning after WWI and the famous poem "In Flanders Field" by John McCrae.
Every time I pin a poppy to my own jacket, however, I seem to lose it (how is it that we have 3D TV and not a better poppy pinning system?!). Instead, I keep a poppy on my inspiration pinboard all year long as a quiet reminder to myself to never forget.
 To some, this stark symbol might seem out of place amidst images of fashionistas and pretty wallpapers, but for me, there are no rules or limitations on inspiration, on the things that motivate me. Yesterday I was organizing my board (I will share the entire thing another day), and as I repinned my poppy into place, it occurred to me just how inspiring it is.
Each time I look at it, my dziadzia comes to my mind. (Dziadzia is Polish for Grandpa, pronounced Jah-Jah).
 My grandfather, who fought in WWII and saw horrors I cannot even imagine.
My grandfather, who was discharged after shrapnel from a bomb burned into his arm, a blessing in disguise - He was one of the lucky ones.
My Jah-Jah, who taught me to play checkers,  who passed away when I was eight years old.
I miss you. I hope I am making you proud.
Today is for the people who fought along side my grandfather, who fought in wars before him and wars after him. I thank you and I pray for the day the world is at peace.
Lest we forget. 
 Photobucket
You might also like:
Tassel Garland Pinboard / DIY Ribbon and Linen Pinboard

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top